PLEASE READ: New Raith Reservation Policy Semi-Final Proposal Going Into Effect 2/10/2004

Mark Topinka mtopinka at stanford.edu
Sat Feb 7 16:38:13 PST 2004

Thanks to Guanxiong for the question, and thanks to Scott for the
answer.  I just wanted to follow up Scott's excellent explanation with what
is perhaps a clearer statement of the "reservation cap" - it's hard to
anticipate all the questions and issues that are going to come up, but
we're all doing our best here to come up with a policy that is simple and
clear and which the whole community can work with and hopefully be happy
with.  The goal of the policy is to make sure that all users get a fair
chance to use the Raith, while making sure at the same time that the Raith
never sits idle simply because an inefficient/broken reservation policy.

The basic proposed policy is this: you may have up to a TOTAL of 8 hours
reserved (in as many separate blocks as you want) at any given time on
coral.  The one exception we agreed to make to this rule for users who need
longer single-write times: IF you are willing to have ONLY ONE reservation
at a time on coral, you may make that reservation for up to 10 hours.
Stated again in hopefully clear terms:
~ users who want to have 2 or more future reservations on coral: never more
than 8 TOTAL HOURS of coral reservations in the coming 2 weeks
~ users who are willing to have only 1 future reservation on coral: never
more than one (and only one) 10 HOUR reservation in the coming 2 weeks.
a key thing to remember is that the "2 week" window is always moving,
counting from the current time, NOT from Sunday or Monday or some fixed day
of the week.

this policy is open to discussion and tweaking/improving and changing, of
course, but first of all, does everybody understand the proposed
reservation policy?  -Mark