cancelled 9-2 tonight

John Shott shott at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 11 13:52:38 PST 2004

Lindsay:

Every piece of equipment has a *-pcs mailing list ... but you are correct that
  not everyone is subscribed to or receives the traffic on that list.

pcs stands for Problems/Comments/Shutdowns and is the mailing list which is
used to notify the maintenance staff and engineers on each piece of equipment
that there is a problem or shutdown condition.  When they clear or resolve a
problem or shutdown, their response also goes to the appropriate *-pcs list.

Because the content of these lists is viewable ... either on the snf equipment
"Mailing list archive" page or in the Coral maintenance client itself (under
the tab labelled "Maintenance") if people wish to view it, we concluded that
we didn't need to send the e-mail traffic of the *-pcs lists to all qualified
users of each piece of equipment.  (I'm actually subscribed to all of the
lists ... and I can tell you that it is a lot of messages and most of them
aren't terribly informative other than they let me know that something is
broken or that something is fixes).