READ ME: CURRENT RAITH RESERVATION AND USAGE POLICY

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Feb 24 13:09:09 PST 2004

Greetings Raith Community:

Thank you for your input and participation in the Ebeam Town Meeting we
held February 2, 2004.
Here is the final version of the Reservation and System Usage policy
based on your inputs.  I hope that all users will see this change as an
improvement from the past policy that was in place. We all agreed to try
out this policy out and discuss further refinements needed at our next
Ebeam Town Meeting.  This meeting is scheduled for March 15, 2004 at 2 -
4 PM, CIS 101.

Current RAITH 150 Reservations Policy:

1. Reservation limit of 8 hours per rolling 10 day reservation window on
the Coral Reservation System.
The reservation horizon was increased from 7 days to 10 days on Coral to
allow you a longer window to make reservations.

2. Minimum of a four hour reservation slot, or you should 'Share the
Ride' with other users within your CORAL reservation. i.e., No half hour
reservation games allowed or tolerated! Not necessary to petition the
Raith list for each of your sessions!

3.  Longer reservation needed than the normal 8 hour session:
You may have one reservation only of up to 10 hours maximum if you have
no other reservations on the RAITH Coral system in a rolling two week
period.  You must have approval from James Conway if you desire a
session longer than 10 hours, and you will then not be able to make an
additional reservation for a two week period after that reserved session
is completed.  This is meant to meet the needs of users with special
writing needs or circumstances only.
Note: This policy continues to be under review and may be modified in
the future as the need presents itself.

4. Reservations start (rather than end) within the reservation horizon.
This change in particular, is designed to avoid the "30 minute roulette"
that  labmembers wishing to reserve the raith and the stsetch have been
forced to play.

5. We have abandoned the concept of 'prime time' and 'non-prime time'
hours. The Lab operates 24/7...

6. First Come First Serve -- You must use your reservation before making
a new reservation on the Coral system.

Raith System Usage Policy:

1. No System Usage Limit:
While we have specific limits to RAITH Coral reservations, we do not
have a limit on the system utilization if there are no other users
working on or reserved for the system.   I expect the system to be
utilized 100% of the time.  Users are asked to make the hand off between
users as smooth as possible. It is suggested you check in with the
previous user a short time before your session to aid in communications
and the system hand off to reduce the unload / load exchange interval time.

2. Grace Period: Users are expected to start and end your writing
sessions within 15 minutes of the scheduled time slot.
If you are having problems, or encountered difficulties during your
write, which may require for you to extend into the next user's session
you are expected to make an attempt to inform the next user within a
hour of the hand off time. You must gain their permission to extend into
their session.  If you don't get permission or cannot complete the EBL
task -- you are expected to cancel the exposure and immediately yield
the system to the next user on their request.  If you did not start your
session on time as scheduled you will not be allowed a grace period to
continue into the next person's session.
Remember you must gain the next users permission to extend beyond 15
minutes into the next reservation slot.

3. Beginning your writing session -- the '16 minute Rule' applies:
If at 'minute 16' of your reservation slot, if you have neither shown up
to start your session, nor marked the system with a note saying you are
coming, nor communicated with the last user on the system and posted to
the raith mailing list; you lose your entire reservation.  It is only
upon the courtesy of the user available to come onto the system, once he
has enabled on CORAL for the session, as to either to return the system
to you within your lost reservation time or not.

4. Cancellations:
Cancellations and trade off in RAITH sessions should be posted to the
Raith mailing list for all to view as soon as possible once you realize
that you will not be able to make use of your reservation.  It is
expected of Users that cancellations be done at least 24 hours before
your reserved session to allow other lab members to make use of the
opening. You must post a reason for your cancellation, particularly if
it was due to a system or machine dependence from within the lab not
allowing you to get your work finished.

5.  If there is no one on the system and no reservation on CORAL, the
system is available to you for your use.
  This does not affect your reservation limits on the Coral schedule and
there is no need to make a reservation on Coral for this session.

6.  ALL USERS must enable CORAL in their own account for their writing
sessions. At the time of enable Users are to start an entry in the RAITH
Operations Logbook and all pertinent information should be recorded.
Problems during a run should be reported to CORAL and noted in the
Logbook for prompt action by SNF staff.

Thank you for your inputs and support of these policies.  This should go
a long way to create fair and uniform access and utility of the RAITH
150 Ebeam Lithography System.

Yours,