high mag problems

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 25 11:50:50 PST 2004

Good Morning Raith Users:

I have put the system into 'red light' mode == SHUTDOWN.

The EHT trips that were experienced by John Cummings were unusual
events. I was very surprised to learn upon arriving today that users had
several different problems overnight.  Note that we had run the system
slowly up to 20 and 30 keV without problems before releasing the system
to users yesterday.

The root of the problem:  arcing events in the gun section.
The Magnification Amplifier No. 3 in the Electron Optics section (E/O)
which switches at about 13.6 kX was found to have failed during my
troubleshooting this morning.  I am currently testing out the gun
section again.  LEO USA and RAITH USA have been informed of the problem,
and we are trying to locate a E/O board here in America to replace the
blown board as soon as possible.

Please adjust your schedules accordingly -- likely down through Friday
Noon.  I will post to this list when I have more information.