Raith down through 4 PM tomorrow.

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 25 19:45:50 PST 2004

Greetings,

To effect repairs to the Gun section to eliminate the arcing events we
encountered we had to break vacuum, clean the bore and FE-Gun assembly.
We found a rather shocking carbon deposit on the side of the insulator
possibly from an arc in this area.

We are now starting to bake out the gun section of the column and hope
to bring the platform back up on line tomorrow afternoon for users
access about 4 PM.  If this doesn't eliminate all problems we must them
replace the tip and could be down through early next week.

Only after this problem has been addressed will we replace the Electron
Optics board that was damaged by the arc event last night.

Please stand by for further updates as the situation progresses.