Raith will remain off line -- likely through Tuesday Noon. UPDATE Monday afternoon .

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 27 17:25:41 PST 2004

Hello Raith Users:

The Raith system will remain off line through next Tuesday Noon at the
earliest -- please adjust your schedules accordingly.

The Raith computer can be used for pattern editing and preparing
position list.  Please be careful the when you login that the beam is
kept unblanked, as the normal default for most user logins is to blank
on login. If you encounter difficulties call me immediately.

NO ACCESS OR COMMUNICATIONS TO THE LEO COLUMN.  PLEASE LET THE SYSTEM
IDLE ALONG AND PLEASE DO NOT LOGOUT OF THE SERVICE WINDOWS AND GUN
MONITORS AS WE ARE COLLECTING  DATA.

Currently we are idling at 20 keV, BEAM ON, EHT ON, 10000 kX mag. Beam I
= 0.212 nA

Beam emission has stabilized nicely but the vacuum levels and imaging
resolution are very poor.
Several sections of the LEO electron optics board were damaged when the
system arced during user write early Wed. evening.  This was not the
fault of any user, just the luck of the draw...

LEO and RAITH have provided excellent support and we all worked hard to
efficiently coordinate and ship out E/O boards and  parts needed to
effect repairs.  Best efforts were made by all parties involved.  This
situation will improve early next week.

Thank you for your support,

James Conway

I will be traveling and 'off the cell grid' intermittently through the
weekend.  415-412-4825