RAITH STATUS -- January System Start up in progress.

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Jan 6 09:46:01 PST 2004

Greetings RAITH Users,

Welcome back and Happy New Year!

System Start up status as of 9:30 AM Tuesday January 6, 2004:

RAITH COMPUTER BACK UP:
On the shut down December 19, 2003 I managed to hose the RAITH PC's
Windows 2000 Professional Operating System during the power down of the
system.  I didn't realize that the PC was connected to the RAITH power
bus and inadvertently powered down the system while  SYS. Admin.
routines were running. (Defrag.exe)

I had to get help and reload the OS --  copying over files that had been
corrupted.  We now have the Raith PC back up and running with no loss of
data or capability. Thank yous go out to Hendrik Bluhm for offering
assistance and expertise in Windows Y2K Pro which go us back up quickly.

LEO Column GUN section will likely need a Bake Out:
We have not achieved suitable vacuum in the Gun area to restart the
Field Emission Gun after 24 hours of pumping and likely will have to
perform a bake out of the system.  LEO Field Service is here today and
we will evaluate this item together and take appropriate means to
completely resolve this concern before opening the system for lab
members usage.

We will run a re-qualification EBL write run for min. line width and
stitching to get current data and verify system performance is within
specifications before allowing the first users onto the system.  The
RAITH computer itself and the design utilities are available to users at
this time should you wish to take advantage of this capability.

I am currently hoping to have the system available to users sometime
Thursday afternoon. Please plan your CORAL reservations accordingly.

SNF