Scheduling solutions?

Mark Topinka mtopinka at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 22 14:21:22 PST 2004

Hi all-
       Thanks to John, Hendrik, James, and John for the ideas so far on
this issue.  It is indeed next to impossible to sanely schedule time on the
Raith these days.  I have a proposal which I believe is simple to put into
place, takes nobody any extra time, and could be started
immediately...   How about if the rule becomes no more than 10 hours of
signup per person for the next 7-day (rolling) period.  As soon as you
start one block of time, that time comes off your total and you can sign up
for more time.  This would be a self-policiing rule, but if one notices
anybody violating it, one could contact James and James could remove the
offending reservations (I would propose not All of that persons
reservations be removed, just the most distant offending ones).  I took a
quick look at the upcoming week, and this policy would free up about 35
hours of time in the next week.  It might slightly slow down
super-hard-core users, but it would allow less intensive users the
occasional use they need.  Just a proposal...  There is no perfect solution
(short of maybe buying five more Raiths), but this might be a decent
compromise for the time being...  What think y'all? -Mark