Scheduling solutions?

Dan Grupp grupp at snowmass.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jan 26 21:53:18 PST 2004

i counted 20 users last week.

slot size = 7 x 24 / 20 = 8.4

So allocating 10hrs/wk is clearly over the available time. to free up the
scarece resource would have to set the limit to less than 8 hours.

-dan

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, John Cumings wrote:

> All,
>
> Short attention span? 2 old ideas, 1 new idea.
>
> Old idea 1:
> I agree with reducing the time allocation for all users.  This should free
> up time towards the end of the week.  I think 6 hrs prime time/10
> hrs. total would help a lot.  It is even possible that with this, there
> will be 8-10 hr time slots towards the end of the week, accommodating the
> long-session people among us.  I don't think people should be allowed more
> than 10 hrs. for a single write as a policy.  Maybe once every couple
> months for a major project, but even then only at James' discretion.
> Those who do need 10 hr. sessions should only get them one-at-a-time.
> I know this stings, but it should.
>
> Old idea 2:
> I also like implementing the "James does reservations" policy as a
> contingency: for when the Coral schedule truly is full.  In the ideal
> case, this shouldn't happen very often.  This stings James, but again, it
> should: if the schedule is full, he's been doing a bad job at setting
> policy. (No offense intended James - I don't think you're doing a bad
> job.  We're all learning here...)
>
> New idea:
> I also had the idea of having a whole day open up at one time on Coral for
> new reservations, rather than opening up sessions 1/2hr by 1/2hr.  This
> prevents the annoying 1/2hr-by-1/2hr reservation game.  If this is
> implemented, I think the cusp should by 5AM, and the opening time should
> be 12 noon.  This should make those who need 10 hr sessions happy,
> especially if they are good at clicking a mouse fast ;)
>
> Just a few more cents...
>
> -John

>      John Cumings
>      cumings at stanford.edu
>      Postdoctoral Scholar
>      Physics Department
>      Stanford University
>
>      office (650) 725-1025
>      lab (650) 725-2047
>      fax (650) 724-3681
>
>      Geballe Laboratory for Advanced Materials
>      239 McCullough Building
>      476 Lomita Mall
>      Stanford, CA 94305-4045

Dr. Daniel Grupp, Visiting Scholar