Some remarks: Migrarting user directories and buffered exposure

Hendrik Bluhm hendrikb at stanford.edu
Thu Jan 29 07:07:32 PST 2004

Dear users,

1. I found yesterday that my whole user directory on the Raith computer
had been migrated into hungtaos directory, presumably by someone
accidentally dragging it there in the file manager.
Please try to avoid this, be alert to this possibility and particularly
don't delete mysterious file suddenly appearing in your directory.

2. Recently, I had a discussion with another user about the waste of
beam time because the raith software does all computations for
pattern breaking etc. online. I just found out that there is a way of
avoiding this which I beleive is not known to many users, so I thought it
might be a good idea to share this discovery.
You can record a simulated exposure using the exposure buffer and then
replay it for a real exposure so that the computation does not have to be
repeated. I think this may be interesting if your time prediction shows a
large fraction of computation time, particularly if you have to repeat the
exposure a couple of times.
For (some) details, see p. 132 of the software manual.

Hendrik

Hendrik Bluhm
Department of Physics
Stanford University

Work adress:                    Moler Lab
           			Lab. for Advanced Materials
Phone: (650) 723-4012           McCullough Bldg.
Fax:   (650) 725-2189           476  Lomita Mall
                                Stanford, CA 94305