Raith Status 2330 hours Friday March 5, 2004 :: System is up -- operations are fine.

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Mar 5 23:36:51 PST 2004

Hello:

We have finished operational testing of the LEO package and the Raith
system.  Gigi and I both have successfully written a number of patterns
without problems.  The system is set up very nicely and I saved all the
best settings to the column.ini and microscope.ini files, so you can be
comfortable accepting these values when prompted.

The system is very clean and it will take a longer time to generate a
suitable contamination dot.  Short dwell dots (left button) ar only
about 10 - 12 nm in size, Long dwell dots (30 seconds) are about 30 nm.
(Vibration was diminished from 5 - 7 nm to 3 nm after about 7 PM. Latex
at 250 kX.)

Use the latex spheres, there are three sizes mixed together, and
carefully work your way down to smaller and smaller spheres as you find
your focus. Do your final focus and writefield alignment on a
contamination dot.  This will be a bit harder than normal, please be
patient.

Focus and Stigmation controls on the mouse in fine mode need only about
1 - 3 mm of translation so do this slowly and it will work fine.

I will develop and inspect my structures Monday, evaluate stitching and
resolution on single pixel lines and post results.  I would appreciate
reports from users from their inspections on this list for Monday to aid
in the qualification data.

Ample notes on the qualification procedure are in the FAQ - Tips and
tricks notebook should you be interested. This will become a template
for future qualifications. :-)

Please be careful with the system and the materials placed into it.

NO operations above 10 keV.
All resist must be baked at temperatures above 140 C.
Please see me if you have any questions or call me.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!

Good Night,

James Conway
Ebeam Technology Group
415-412-4825

PS. We will need some time Monday AM to complete tuning and tweaking
with LEO and to measure the qualification runs.  - jwc

Previous status message:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Greetings:

System has been working well through the afternoon.  NO operations above
10 keV.  All resist must be baked at temperatures above 140 C.  Please
see me if you have any question.

Users, particularly those not experts at SEM operations, may experience
some difficulties achieving good focus or stigmation initially.  My
suggestion is to say yes to the standard settings for 5 mm that I saved
earlier today and will update again on my session coming up at 1800
hours today.  If you encounter difficulties -- return to larger features
re-focus and stigmate, and then move in three progressions to smaller
and smaller features, carefully adjusting stigmation as you increase
magnification.
The mixture of latex spheres on the load station are very good features
for this.

Users are also reminded that much less translation will be needed to
the mouse  controls to achieve suitable focus and stigmate because after
the PM was done less current is needed to achieve acceptable stigmation.
Remember: Move the controls very slowly allowing the monitor to update
as it scans across the sample. Reduced raster works best for this.

A slight shift can be seen changing from Mag amplifier 1 to 2 but should
not affect your write field alignment as that it is done in Mag. range 2
for most writefield sizes.

Please feel free to call me if you encounter problems or have any concerns.

Leo will return for final tweaking on Monday at a time to be determined
and it is hoped that we can progress to 20 keV writes early next week.