Important: High voltage clarification

Ji-Won Son jwson at stanford.edu
Thu Mar 18 10:27:30 PST 2004

Hi all,

I asked the procedure to use voltage around 20keV, so I think I can answer
some of David's question.

The Raith system use 8kV deceleration up to 20keV, so the actual voltage
that applied to the gun is plus 8V to the acc. voltage you choose. (if you
use 20keV, then the actual voltage is 28 V, not 20.)

Above 20kV, the system turns off 8V deceleration part and applied voltage
will be same as you choose. That's why James asked us to use 10-15 kV and
20.1 - 21 kV at this point to reduce the load.

I am not sure about using 10-15kV, but when you use 20.1-21kV, the procedure
is:

1. Turn the beam on at 10kV.

2. Check the vacuum. (should be around 10^-9)

3. If vacuum is ok, then change the voltage to 20.1-21kV, by one step. Don't
ramp up slowly step by step!

These are what I heard from Raith field service. James, if there is anything
wrong with these, please correct.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Ji-Won Son