Loadlock error follow up

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 22 14:26:06 PST 2004

Hi everyone --

I'm sure y'all will join in offering heartfelt gratitude to Arvind for
rescuing and resetting the Raith.  Thanks Arvind!!!

While James is out of town, I would like to offer a suggestion.  It
seems that this was the typical loadlock error problem, in which the
system was easily rescued by one of the knowledgeable Raith champions.
The problem this weekend was complicated by the fact that the system had
been put down to red on Coral on Saturday evening, and thus nothing
could be done to it until a staff member came in and intervened.
Although putting a system down on Coral is normally exactly what should
be done, in this case, it may have prevented the system from being reset
by knowledgeable users and then made available for use for the rest of
the weekend.  So, my suggestion is this:  while James is out of town, I
would recommend that Raith users not put the machine down to red on
Coral during off-hours or weekends, unless it is felt that the machine
may be in any danger of being seriously damaged, or a Raith champion
recommends that it be shut down.  Instead, for now please report
problems in yellow and email raith at snf to let everyone know of anything
which may prevent their use of the system (as in this case, the loadlock
error.)  In this way, Raith users would not become beholden to staff
members (none of us whom really know what to do, besides call Raith/Leo
anyway) for problems which can be resolved by champions.

I just passed this by Dick, who agrees that for the short term, at least
until James returns, this is an acceptable procedure.  Let me know what
you think, and if people are in agreement, I suggest we start this now.

Thanks for your attention --

Mary

--
Mary X. Tang, Ph.D.