Mark Topinka mtopinka at stanford.edu
Tue Nov 16 09:45:49 PST 2004

Hi James and Raith folks-
       I think James's points about cancellations are good, and I support
some sort of "incentive program" for not cancelling reservations- not sure
exactly what form it should take, but the most important thing I think
would be to work out something that strongly encourages people to cancel
and notify _more than 24 hours in advance_.
      Re: point #2:  this is the one point I have some questions
about.   It seems to me the real problem is not any and all short
reservations, but rather the short chunks of "un-usable" time between
peoples reservations, and the games some people (a couple of users in
particular?) seem to play betting that nobody else will be able to get on
in that time so that they will be able to use it.  In the next 7 days,
there are 11 total hours of 1/2 or 1 hour "lost blocks".  This is about 3%
of the total available time- not really that huge of a problem, but
admittedly not perfect either.  How about this policy: "you are not allowed
to leave any 1/2 or 1 hour block between your reservation and another
user's reservation.  And no reservation shorter than 2 hours."  Otherwise,
what are we suppose to do when there's a 2 or 3 hour block of open time in
the morning starting at 5am- just leave it unused?  (currently there are
two such blocks in the upcoming week).  I agree, by the way, that it makes
sense for myself and other users who can legitimately use short blocks of
time to work hard at co-loading our samples with the previous and/or next
users to save time on loading- I will definitely do that more vigilantly
from now on.   But I disagree with the policy of having to "share" a four
hour block of time- do we really want to put a policy into place that
penalizes people who can legitimately get a write done quickly!?   I
believe my proposal ("you are not allowed to leave any 1/2 or 1 hour block
between your reservation and another user's reservation.  And no
reservation shorter than 2 hours.") solves the sneaky-half reservations
problem that some people are doing, while preserving an incentive for
people to get their writes done in <4 hours if they can.   -Mark Topinka