blanking leakage - question

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 17 09:46:33 PST 2004

Raith Users and Ofer Levi:

Let me make this very clear for everyone...  if you survived my Basic
Users class you should all know this by memory:

Area Dose = Beam I * Dwell Time / Area Step **2

If you dwell upon an write field area for enough time to reach the dose
to clear you will clear the exposed area.
This is true for when you intend to expose a pattern as well as for any
emission coming through the column when you do not wish to expose a
pattern. read: leakage of electrons from the column normally due to
scattering events.
Again if the Blanker leakage emission when blanked multiplied by the
dwell time you exposed a write field area for reaches the dose to clear
you will have a cleared feature visible in your field when working in
positive tone PMMA.

This could be a cleared area over or adjacent to your pattern normally
coming from the upper right hand side of the write field.  The amount of
typical leakage of the Raith ebeam Blanker is on the order of 0.0005
nA.  This is typical for all electrostatic columns.  Recently the
emission when blanked has been measured to be 0.0007 nA on the 30 um
aperture and 0.0017 - 0.0023 nA on the 20 um aperture.  You can make
this measurement yourself by moving to the faraday cup (FC) zooming to
greater than 500 X magnification in order to confine the beam into the
FC, then measuring your Beam Current with the blankers blanked and
unblanked.

FOR ALL USERS working within a single write field for a long period of
time, such as in Ofer's photonic crystal and others peoples waveguides
and photonic devices AND whenever you idle the system over your sample
for long enough dwell time to reach, or approach, the dose to clear you
will obtain an exposure artifact of the blankers leakage emission
profile, hence the 'trilliums' 'teardrops' and 'star' features users
have been reporting.  The faster your resist in sensitivity the more
apparent this problems will become.  It is plainly apparent under any
optical microscope at any magnification over 10X.

Finally the problem will become even more acute when you do RIE etching
pattern transfer on the sample with this feature.  As that it is thinner
than the surrounding resist this are will clear first resulting a
multiple stepped etched feature.

The only way I will be able to resolve this issue is to replace the
FE-Gun tip and the aperture plate.  From their we can continue
troubleshooting the RAITH  and LEO blanker assemblies and electronics if
this problem still presents itself.
This is what RAITH USA has recommended and I have held them up this last
month from performing this needed service to get your work completed on
the system during our normally busy part of the term.

Your comments are invited.  Thread:  Blanking Leakage.

Thank you,

JWC