RAITH 150 PM Schedule has Changed -- system will be up Thanksgiving break! PM rescheduled for DEC14 - Jan. 5.

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 19 14:42:27 PST 2004

Greetings:

I had wished to post the announcement Wed. a week ago and then last
Friday. Mondays message regarding the upcoming downtime was to get the
message out as a 'tentative plan' for everyone benefit. One of the
reasons I was unable to get a firm commitment from ZEISS to perform the
PM as we had hoped for over Thanksgiving was that they long delayed the
response to several calls and queries to them from both RAITH USA and I
over the course of the last few weeks.

Considering the ground swell of opposition to taking the system off line
over the Thanksgiving Day weekend, and the justified concern that Zeiss
could complete this procedure correctly the first time, and with due
consideration of the short notice users normal expect on these types of
plans. Finally just today notice of Zeiss's inability  to perform this
service next week we will move the schedule PM to the week of December 13.

 The RAITH  will remain off line through late day january 4 or more
likely Wednesday January 5, 2005 at the earliest.
 The Last Users session will complete by Noon December 13. I will have
the system through the next morning when RAITH and Zeiss Field service
is scheduled to arrive to complete some work in my queue before shutting
off the system..

To answer Ali Javey's question in a previous email this week in part:

>> Can you please clarify the maintenance and testing* policies of the Raith?

This PM maintenance routine will include replacing the FE-Gun tip and
the aperture assembly, cleaning the anode and spray aperture plate above
the anode.  Inspection and appropriate cleaning of the column liner,
anode,  blanker assemblies,  the final pole piece, and the surfaces of
the kinetic mounts.  We will also be performing numerous inspections and
checks of the chamber, stage, load lock belts, transfer arm and measure
signals and align the laser interferometer.  We will attempt to address
anything else that may arise too!

We will then bake out the system overnight and do a cold run up of the
FE-GUN to evaluate contamination levels in the column to address
previous issues and concerns with arcing at higher acceleration
voltages.  If necessary we will reopen the column and clean and then
clean again until we are confident we will be safe to operate at higher
KV after the normal tip run in period ( I would imagine we will wish to
run a week at < 20 kV to run in the tip, as is normal.)

For the Christmas / New Years holiday shut down period we will perform
an extended bake out of the entire column to bring the ultimate gun
vacuum down to the lowest level possible and reduce contamination levels
in the gun section.

In January we will bring the system back up and make all the adjustments
to the column settings and alignments as we have in the past.  It is
hoped to complete this January 3 and 4.  Late January 4 I hope to
perform PCM and qualification runs for 10 and 20 keV to certify we are
within system specifications focusing on stitching and ultimate
resolution and also to establish baselines for comparison through
January/February.  I hope to release the system to users late in the day
January 4 or by 12 Noon on January 5, 2005 if all work is completed if
this is humanly possible.

Thank you for your support!  Your comments are invited.

James Conway
SNF

* 1 - A description of the RAITH performance post-PM Qualification
Method I have been using is listed in RAITH FAQ and Operation Notes
Notebook NO 2. including many measurements I have made. I have been
working on establishing a template for this set of test so anyone can
perform it.  I have a number of other notations and measurement in my
R&D notebooks if you are interested in reviewing  or contributing to
this work.
jwc

Here was my final now long awaiting confirmation of this plan.