SEM computer problem on Wed. night

Ofer Levi levi at snowmass.stanford.edu
Thu Sep 9 15:07:57 PDT 2004

Hi all,
last night when I was preparing for writing on the Raith system, I was
imaging a sample with the Raith SEM [10 KV, 30 micron aperture, sample is
Quartz sample with ZEP 520 resist, and metal coating layer for conduction
purposes].
At one point after about 1/2 hour of SEM usage, while I was using a high
magnification to see features of 100 nm wide, the SEM computer suddenly
crashed.  After restarting the SEM computer and logging in, I was able to
resume operation as normal, get reasonable spot sizes in contamination dot
burning, and write my job.  I have no indication for what caused this
problem but it only happened last night once. I have written at least 10
times on identical samples and had no problems, so probably it is not a
sample related issue.

Any idea what may have caused it and how to avoid/overcome it ?
Thanks,
Ofer

Ofer Levi,      Ph.D.
Department of Electrical Engineering, Stanford University
CIS-X Rm 310,  Stanford, CA 94305-4075

Phone:                             (650)723-0464 or 725-6907
Fax:                                              (650)723-4659
Adm. Asst.: Gail Chun-Creech                  Ph:  (650)723-0983
E-Mail:                          levi at snow.stanford.edu
Web page:               http://snow.stanford.edu/~levi/