Raith Status January 06,2005: 1745 hours System coming back up -- Qualifications tomorrow.

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Jan 6 18:00:57 PST 2005

Greetings:

Working with Mike Santomango from Zeiss SMT Field Service we were able
to bring up the platform up after the extended bake out over the
holidays and perform the service run up of the FE-Gun. We now have
nearly 50 hours of filament time on a fresh new FE-Gun.  This afternoon
we recalibrated and adjusted for proper centering of the Gun, Aperture,
and Stigmator alignments functions settings. These are preliminary
adjustments and they will certainly drift somewhat as the Fe-Gun runs
itself in. We will need perform additional checks and alignments next week.

Emission Current is slowly coming up as the Fe-Gun conditions and runs
itself in to suitable operation. I am allowing the system to stabilize
overnight and will attempt to perform the qualification testing in the
morning. Vacuum levels are optimal for the system and we have now had
operation test  through 15 kV acceleration voltage.

SEM imaging resolution is good with a 5 nm features being resolved at 10
kV 30 um apt. WD = 5 mm.
Brightness is much improved from the state we were in before we shut
down the system for the holidays.

It is hoped that we will be able to open up access for RAITH champions
only allowing usage and testing on the system tomorrow afternoon and
throughout the weekend.  These users will be expected to promptly report
and document their results obtained to aid in establishing baselines for
performance on the system.  There will not be any operations above 15 kV
until I am satisfied that it will be safe to operate at higher voltages.

Further testing is required to ensure that all outstanding issues of
concern are addressed.  See my previous emails for further information
on many items I am working on to resolve and return the system into
proper order. Users with specific concerns are encouraged to see me
during my office hour between 8:30 and 9:30 AM. Next Raith update will
go out tomorrow afternoon.