NEW LEO SEM COLUMN installed and system qualified, now back on-line. Users restricted to 10 kv through July 6, 2005

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 24 18:31:54 PDT 2005

      Greetings Raith Community:

This week we received installed and characterized a brand new LEO 1530
SEM column on the RAITH 150 system.
Tuesday evening, working into the early morning with Jason Sanabia and
Mirwais Aktary, we exchanged the SEM column on the Raith 150 system with
a new SEM column. Through the remainder of the week we have been
performing many test and qualification evaluation runs.

I am very much relieved to report that the blanker leakage and column
scattering issues that we have experienced since mid May of last year
have now been fully resolved to my satisfaction.  Emission and scatter
from the column when blanked on the Raith Blanker are now between 0.0002
and 0.0003 nA for all apertures.  There is no difference between this
value when the LEO blanker is enabled either. A test script that we have
been employing to evaluate scatter for various impingement periods,
which well displayed the problem before we installed the new column,
also displayed no exposure artifacts evident whatsoever after the column
exchange.

Please READ:
WE NOW HAVE BASICALLY A BRAND NEW AND CALIBRATED RAITH 150 SYSTEM.  THE
SEM COLUMN, IN-LENS DETECTOR, THE FE-GUN, AND THE BLANKER SECTIONS ARE
BRAND SPANKING NEW! THE SYSTEM AND COLUMN ARE EXQUISITELY CLEAN AND FREE
OF CONTAMINATION -- WE MUST ALL STRIVE TO DILIGENTLY KEEP IT THIS WAY.

ALL USERS MUST COMPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING PROTOCOLS EXACTLY WITH NO
EXCEPTIONS:

   1. NO OPERATIONS ABOVE 10 kV ACCELERATION VOLTAGE WHILE WE CONDITION
      THE FE-GUN.( through 7-6-1005)
   2. NO RESIST OR OTHER MATERIALS THAN HAVE NOT BEEN SOFT BAKED TO >
      150 DEGREES C.
   3. BEFORE GOING INTO THE LOAD LOCK ON THE SYSTEM ALL CHIPS AND WAFERS
      MUST BE SOFT BAKED AGAIN AT >= 90 DEGREES CELSIUS FOR 90 SECONDS.
      REMARKABLE YOU WILL OBTAIN BETTER CONTAMINATION DOTS TOO!
   4. NO CARBON TAPE, EPOXIES, GREASES, OR OTHER ADHESIVES ARE TO BE
      PLACED INTO THE SYSTEM OTHER THAN MINUTE FRAGMENTS OF SPECTRA TABS
      THIN CONTAMINATION FREE CARBON DOTS. SMALL 1 MM STRIPES ARE
      RECOMMENDED.  ALL OTHER HOLD DOWN FIXTURES MUST BE FRESHLY SOLVENT
      CLEANED AND BAKED BEFORE ENTERING SYSTEM.

IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO FOLLOW THESE GUIDELINES EXACTLY TAKE YOUR WORK
ELSEWHERE!

Should you have any questions please see during my office hour!

      Finally everyone working on the Stanford RAITH system owes a great
      debt of gratitude to the following people for making the extra
      effort and going the distance to resolve this problem.  Any other
      manufacturer would have not gone to this level of effort that the
      RAITH team has made to address our concerns, and to ensure that we
      had the very best system possible to perform our research here at
      SNF!

        Special recognition goes out to:

George Lanzarotta gl at raithusa.com President RAITH USA  -- This
replacement is likely costing him in excess of $50 K US.

Ralf Jede Director RAITH GmbH for his continuing concern and support
through this period. He freed up the personnel resources necessary to
successfully complete the task from the RAITH Dortmund site side.

Bernd Stegemann, Stegemann at Raith.de   RAITH GmbH, Dortmund.  For time
and travel well above reasonable expectations. His outstanding talent
and effort made both here at Stanford and at Raith in Dortmund, DE and
working in Oberkocken at the Zeiss factory ensured we obtained the very
best column set up possible.

 Michael  Kahl kahl at raith.de for his continuing technical and
application support.  We worked well into the night during my visit to
Dortmund, DE in April and we made critical observations comparing
several RAITH systems that gave us the right directions to proceed IN to
address the scattering issues.

Cole Loomis RAITH USA Field Service Manager  We must have had  100 hours
on the phone CALLS nights and mornings during measurements over the last
year.

Jason Sanabia and Mirwais Aktary RAITH USA Field Service for time and
effort above and beyond any reasonable expectation.  The three of us
have been at it since the minute they arrived here at SNF this week and
we completed the plan on time and with an successful outcome. These guys
are "The Right Stuff."

Mike Santomango Zeiss SMT Field Service.  Despite other commitments from
Zeiss, he did his absolute best and made sure that when we needed him he
was there and was able to get the adjustments performed that needed to
be performed, and for his continuing support. He is one of Zeiss's very
best technical people.

Dan Pickard, Pease Group Stanford. For continuing consultation and
support related to electro-static and SEM Column Theory in discussions
that were useful and informative toward reaching a solution.

There were many other people involved in this work over the last year
from both RAITH organizations, Zeiss SMT, and Stanford. Please accept my
heartfelt thanks for your encouragement and support through the past
year.  Many many thanks to you all.

Now lets get back to our research and together let us push the limits of
Ebeam Lithography here at Stanford Nanofabrication Facility.

Sincerely Yours,

James Conway
Ebeam Technology Group
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility