Comment raith SNF 2005-03-09 17:35:30: NO OPERATIONS ABOVE 20 kV]

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 10 09:52:44 PST 2005

RAITH Magnification Range Three Update:
There exist a fault in the Magnification Range 3 amplifier on the
Electron Optics board (E/O ) due to damage during last weeks EHT trip.
We cannot make suitable adjustments to this amplifier's range of control
to allow the SEM image at mag. range three to be centered and aligned as
it should be with respect to the lower mag. ranges 1 and 2 SEM images.

Monday I attempted to make the adjustments myself and I could not bring
the image into the centered range and perform the alignment.  Zeiss SMT
Field Service expert Mike Santomango visited SNF yesterday and we did
our best to correct this but the E/O card is damaged and we cannot
repair it on site.  Zeiss is working to locate a suitable model of this
E/O board for our system here in the USA. I expect to hear from them
today on the status. Otherwise we may have to wait until the E/O board
is built up and shipped from Oberkocken, Germany. I am hoping we can get
a new E/O board in and adjusted by this weekend.

In Brief:  While the mag range 3 SEM image is not centered with respect
to the centered SEM images from Mag. Range 1 and 2 it still functions at
high magnification.  Shifts as much as -100 to - 400 um U axis can be
expected. Generally your high mag contamination dot  will be located
well to the 'West' in your Mag range 2 field of view.  I normally burn a
dot and let it scan in the reduced raster mode for about 15 seconds.
Then reduce magnification to high end of Mag range 2, locate and center
in the cross hairs the small box and perform my first iteration of the
Align Write Field procedure on this feature.   Further reiterations of
the process will locate your shot dot as you normally do.

You can view your MAG range easily using LEO :: [View] [SEM Status]
{select Mag range from list in second tab if necessary} {First Tab to
view status panel}
For your information at 5 mm Working Distance:
Mag Range 1 is 32 to ~ 480 X mag.
Mag Range 2 is ~ 480 X - ~ 13 kX
Mag Range 3 is above that.
You can hear the relays click quietly as you and down scan up in the
mag. ranges too!
Different working distances will result in different values of mag. at
the thresholds for each range.

In performing your write field alignment employ this workaround that I
posted Tuesday afternoon and you will be fine:
http://snf.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?2160:mss:1101:200503:lnmakckiaeafgldpilhd

SNF