No restrictions on acceleration voltage: OPERATIONS APPROVED TO 25 kV for all users. + NEW E?O BOARD

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 17 12:46:17 PST 2005

Greetings Raith Users:

A new replacement for our Electron Optics board was installed yesterday
which was aligned and tested in the evening.  I am running a long
exposure this afternoon and I expect the system should pass
qualification as I am observing good performance.  Smallest shot dot
this morning was on the order of 7 -8 nm ! Beam drift was at 10 nm/min.
Resolution of SEM imaging is excellent.

OPERATIONS APPROVED TO 25 kV for all users:

I would like to request that you give the system additional time to pump
down and stabilize before starting up the EHT bringing the acceleration
voltage up after loading. I was unable to reproduce the EHT arcing
events encountered two weekends ago by any means employed. We have now
operated  at 20, 25, and 30 kV acceleration voltages for many hours
without problems.
The 20 kV writes from last week look very nice albeit we are still
suffering from decided column scatter issues and these effects are more
pronounced in the exposure artifacts at higher acceleration voltages
particularly for single pixel lines and dot shots.

Tips and Tricks:
You may find it easier to set up your UVW coordinate system and locate
your targets for overlay at 10 kV. Then move up to the higher
accelerations voltage desired to set up the column once again, perform
your write field alignments, reacquire your saved position of targets
for overlay to confirm their position, and only then perform your
writing task.

Users are requested to report at problems encountered to this list and
make a comment on CORAL.

We continue to work closely with both RAITH organizations and ZEISS SMT
with urgency. All parties hope to have a plan of  action to address this
problem in the coming week. Likely we will be rebuilding sections of the
SEM column and repeat the PM routine as is necessary to effect repairs
to the system.