NEW FAQ: ELPHY PLUS switch settings -- 'Please do not adjust the set...'

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Mar 29 10:30:16 PST 2005

Greetings Users:

During weekends particularly Sunday PM we have been receiving a larger
than usual number of phone calls for support due to the positions of the
switches on the ELPHY Plus pattern generator.  Is someone purposely
changing the switch positions? Please see me as that the logic states in
your RAITH user.vbd may have been reversed which will also occur if you
exit ungracefully from the software while you are unblanked, or if you
saved your project while unblanked.  ON login you can change your user
vbd to defaults by selecting 'default configuration' from [OPTIONS] pull
down menu on your login dialog box.

Default position of the switches:

Left hand switch is the hardware reset for the Pattern generator.  It is
a momentary on switch. When moved up to the upper position resets and
centers the X Y deflection system and zeros the DAC's to the pattern
generator.

Middle switch  is to be set to the up position.  This button is not
employed by our system but needed for raith attachment systems attached
to other SEM's. On our system this function is controlled by the
software. LED SHOULD BE LIGHTED.

Right hand switch is the SEM external  button and it also is to be set
to 'up' to allow remote control by ELPHY plus pattern generator.  LED
SHOULD BE LIGHTED. When switched down you are in manually selecting the
'SEM' mode only!
 The system will not blank during operations. Despite your raith
software blanking selection you will always be 'BEAM ON'.

Here is an image of the RAITH ELPHY PLUS attached to another SEM.  NOT
OUR SYSTEM. Note the middle button is in the down position for their
system.

Please Be Reminded:

The Ebeam Lab is a restricted area of the cleanroom and is open only to
users of Ebeam, RAITH  and the S4160 SEM tools.  There should be no one
else in this area. As that several users have insisted the switches were
in the correct position at the beginning of their runs; only to return
to discover the switch positions have been changed, I asking all users
to be vigilant in checking this before you start your exposure. Please
also report to me if you see other people wandering into this area
unescorted.

Please let me know if you are still encountering any problems whatsoever.