RAITH STATUS: 05-20-2005 16:36:23: Beam Unstable above 20 kV acceleration voltage...

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri May 20 17:33:34 PDT 2005

Greetings:

We may not currently be in an optimal operation parameter window for the
FE-GUN operation at higher acceleration voltages. While emission is good
and stable at 10 kV; with higher acceleration voltages the Extraction
Current and Gun vacuum are varying by a large amount and emission
becomes irregular.  No arcing events or EHT trips have been encountered
this week. The value for Ext I 'off' to 'on' at 10 kV is 33.5% and
slowly rising, and for 20 kV much much larger and very irregular in
behavior.

To be safe operations are being restricted to all users to below 20 kV.
Please contact me if you have any questions and be sure report all
problems to CORAL.

Sadly, and certainly not to my satisfaction,  neither RAITH USA nor I
have been able to influence Zeiss SMT Field Service to come in and make
adjustments to our E/O board as requested nearly two weeks ago.  These
were to be the alignments and adjustments we have normally performed
after running in the system a week or so. Users will see slight shifts
going from mag range 2 to 3, and when adjusting stigmators for some
apertures only. These are not large magnitudes and well within the range
of the E/O card adjustment range.
This leaves me no choice other than to perform these alignments myself
early next week and/or we must escalate this problem to management level
at RAITH GmbH and specifically towards Zeiss management in Oberkocken, DE.

Other than just one Email last week there has been no response from
Zeiss SMT to come in and it has been obvious that calls from both
entities are, at the moment, simply being ignored.

Thank you for your support!

James W. Conway
Stanford Nanofabrication Facility
001-650-725-7075