First Announcement: Ebeam Town Hall Meeting for Wednesday June 14, 2006 from 3 - 4:30 PM

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Jun 6 18:26:35 PDT 2006

Greetings Ebeam and Raith Communities:

The next Ebeam Town Hall Meeting will be held Wednesday June 14, 2006
from 3 - 4:30 PM in CIS 201. We hope to have a good turnout for this
meeting as we sincerely desire your input and feedback on how to manage
our Ebeam Lithography systems with so many Lab Members working on these
systems.

The agenda and items for discussion are currently open for your input
and any request.

Ebeam Town Hall Meeting Agenda:

1. Welcome and Introduction by James Conway
( 5 minutes)

2. Today's Feature Presentation:                                       (
40 minutes + 10 for Q&A)

Leo P. Schuler

MacDiarmid Institute for Advanced Materials & Nanotechnology

University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand

Fabrication of functional ZnO coatings and optimizations for improved
piezoelectric properties and photoluminescence

Abstract:
Zinc Oxide (ZnO) is a versatile material which has attractive
dielectric, piezoelectric, semiconducting, acousto-optic, nonlinear
optical, and electrical properties. ZnO nanomaterials are promising
candidates for nanoelectronics and photonics. Compared with other
semiconductor materials, ZnO has a high exciton binding energy of 60
meV, which gives it a high potential for room temperature light
emission, it is more resistant to radiation, and is multifunctional as
it has piezoelectric, ferroelectric, and ferromagnetic properties. ZnO
can be deposited in a multitude of ways.

In our department, we have been focusing in sputtering deposition. I
have been concentrating on fabricating highly piezoelectric films with
good photoluminescence properties. However, these two properties are
somewhat contradictory.

The choice of base substrate, sputtering parameters, and post deposition
treatment (annealing and dry Etching) leads to modification of the
crystal structure and the surface properties, which in turn leads to
more intense photoluminescence (PL) response.

The converse piezoelectric effect on sputtered ZnO was analyzed using
interferometric methods and for the first time, using piezoelectric
force microscopy (PFM). PFM is a variation of atomic force microscopy
that can be applied to investigate piezoelectric thin films at the
nanometer scale.

Surface acoustic wave devices (SAW) were fabricated on various ZnO films
and used to detect changes in UV light intensities.

Finally I will give a short overview about the range of activities in
the area of ZnO "Down Under".

3. Raith Reservation and Scheduling Issues: (15 minutes )
Managing the Raith 150 system with a large number of users of various
experience levels:
 - Proposed Changes or Modification to the currently existing policies
in place?
 - Cancellation Policy -- 24 hour notice?
 - Should we penalize users whom cancel, or repeatedly not show up for
their reservations?
 - Should we implement a Raith System Standby Users listing?
 - 'Share the Ride' incentive for users working with small chips.

4. Additional Items to be determined... The Agenda remains open and
waiting for your input!