"Raith Cam"

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Thu Nov 30 08:57:17 PST 2006

James, Ilya, et al:

While I won't comment on VPN or other control options, if you're looking
for a really great camera for this purpose, I'd suggest something like
the Sony -RZ30N.  That's an network addressable camera that can be
controlled (pan/tilt/zoom) from a web site.

A link to specs for it is at:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/DisplayModel?m=10001&p=3&sp=147&id=67347

It says that list price is $1865 ... but street price is more like
$1300-1500

Mike Deal has one of these in his office (maybe not this exact model,
but something very close to it) and knows a whole lot more about it than
I.  However, it's controllable from the web (pan/tilt/zoom), has a
network connection that plugs directly into a RJ-45 network jack, and
has 25X optical zoom.  My guess is that with proper positioning, you
could see any number of interest ... unless someone was standing in the way.

For your consideration,

John