Tomas

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Apr 4 18:16:17 PDT 2007

Hello Tomáš, Raith Users and RAITH Field Service,

I have flushed out the cooling loop from the NESLAB chiller to the RAITH
E/O card and turbo pump on the RAITH system.
Water flow is still restricted and only will flow at 0.8 LPM, just at
small flow but more than a trickle.  I gently reversed flushed and
forward flushed the lines to remove the debris that had coagulated in
the lines.  It appears to be an oily substance, presumably white mineral
oil.  In addition I flushed out the chiller and supply tank with soapy
water and then again flushed with DI through ten exchanges of clean
water totaling 5 gallons.  I then refilled the system and flushed out
the old lines again with clean DI water. Total flush volume was around
12 gallons.

I just started up the system -- but am not sure the mechanical pump has
started properly that backs up the turbo pump.   Current VAC status at
18:00 hours is the system is 'Waiting Turbo speed".  Hopefully the
system isolation valve and ion pump will start up normally as expected.
I will resume in the morning to troubleshoot and bring the FE-Gun back
up on line if possible.

NO Users access to the system for EBL operations tonight. The FE-GUN is
still down and vacuum will need time to recover.
The computers are up and running if Users desire to review the new
version 4 application, check their data, edit patterns, and prepare
position list in preparation for when the system returns to normal status.

I will update Noon tomorrow PDST.

Thank you for your support!

Good Evening,

James Conway