Raith Policy -- The 16 minute rule

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Feb 2 17:30:50 PST 2007

Greetings Raith Users:

John Liu whom just qualified on the system posted a great question I
wish to reiterate with all users working on the RAITH tool:

John Liu wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> I remember you saying that if we switched times with another user their was
> a way we should notify others. . . Was there a designated website for this
> purpose?
>
> Also, I have a question on the 16 minute rule. Another user ran from
> 9pm-12am Thursday after what I presume was a no show. . . The next user had
> a 10hour reservation today 12-10am but didn't show yet; however the enabled
> user has enough patterns to run into about 4am or later. Is it normal
> courtesy to give the enabled user lost opportunity until all his/her
> patterns are done writing?
>
> Thanks,
> John
James replied:

Please post all notifications, cancellations, and schedule changes and
switches in the Coral schedule to Raith at snf.stanford.edu.

Good Question on the 16 minute rule:

It is an acceptable practice to make a longer exposure position list
than for your reservation session period, just in case the next user did
not show up for his reservation -- or is simply running late coming onto
the system.  I would expect that the user on the system would leave a
note of at which position it is OK to abort his run if they desire to
extend into the next session.

However if he did not add additional reservation time to the schedule
upon notice of the cancellation by the other user -- any user can make a
reservation on CORAL and then abort his write in progress at that coral
reservation sessions start time. That User should also post a email
message to the list that they intend to take the session. If no one
wants the system, as often occurs in the early morning hours, then the
previous user could write until the next reservation's time.

Designed into this policy is that ALL USERS will share the opportunity
to write equally if several users desire access within a long
reservation window.
It is expected that all users will display a modicum of courtesy between
Users working on the Raith Tool, and if possible, return the system
early to the next user in the Coral Queue, or others if time remains
within the previously canceled reservation slot.

If a user does not post a note on the tool, or send a email to the
raith at snf.stanford.edu  indicating his wish to start late; then any user
who wished to may enable the tool and use it for their exposures.  It is
only upon that user's courtesy if they return the system to the previous
user whom lost their reservation at minute 16 of the reserved session.
He whom enables first has the tool.

Note:  that their are no time limits on the utilization of the RAITH
tool -- just to reservations made for the tool in order to ensure fair
and equal access to all qualified users on the tool within a ten day to
two week period. Users whom are unable to make a reservation on the
RAITH over a two week period should see me during my office hour and
together we can seek solutions.

System us up and in fine condition.  Beam Current is near optimal values
for normal exposure parameters.  Contamination dots in the 10 - 20 nm
diameter range were obtained in qualification sessions today. Gun vacuum
is in the 5.0E-010 Torr range.

Please play nicely together over the weekend!