Stanford Raith 150 Status Friday 18:30 hours -- we have been unable to identify the root cause of the vacuum pumping problem so far.

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Jun 13 18:43:28 PDT 2008

Greetings Raith Users:

The RAITH system will remain in shut down mode and we will be off line
to all users over the weekend.  Qualified Users may utilize the raith
computer to prepare their GDS II patterns, etc...

Synopsis:
We encountered vacuum pumping problems Monday early morning and in the
course of troubleshooting the system have swapped out the Membrane
mechanical pump and now the Turbo pump in an effort to restore vacuum to
the system.  Today we spent the entire afternoon leak checking all
components in line between the turbo and mechanical pumps and we still
cannot achieve suitable vacuum to reach the set point to fire up the ion
pumps in the column.  The mechanical pump vacuum level is at the
specified 2000 mt pressure.  We are unsure if the turbo pump or
controller are functioning properly but it was reported to have been
tested after it was rebuilt by Pro-Vac in Santa Cruz.

We will continue troubleshooting the system on Monday late morning.