Cooling update ....

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Fri May 30 22:40:00 PDT 2008

Raith Community:

This afternoon Lev Markov from Raith USA came in for some additional
work on the problematic turbo cooling situation.  In the process of
investigating and localizing flow limitations in the system, a kink in
one of the water lines was found.  Once the kink in the line was
straightened, a healthy flow of about 2.3 liters per minute at a chiller
pressure of only about 40 PSI was observed.  Yesterday at this time, it
took 80 PSI to force only 1.2 liters per minute through the system.

While we will continue to monitor the flows, we are optimistic that this
may resolve this problematic issue.

I'd like to particularly thank Rohan Kekatpure for finishing early and,
in particular, Patrick Gallagher and Kelley Riviore for giving up their
time slots this afternoon so that Lev could investigate this problem ...
had they not been so gracious, we would not have been able to
investigate this matter today and Lev will be in LA all next week.  They
deserve a thank you from everyone for their community-minded spirit in
this regard.  As you know, the system is booked around the clock.  If
any of you need to cancel a time slot because samples won't be ready or
think you may finish early, I'd like to ask you to contact Patrick
(pgallagh at stanford.edu) and Kelley (kriviore at stanford.edu) first to see
if we can get them some "make up time" over the next 2-3 days.  Please
let Kelley and Patrick know if you think you know of some time that may
open up in the near future ....

Happy processing,

John