Polling the Users on the level of interest in using HSQ negative tone Ebeam resist in the next year.

James W. Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Mar 8 19:01:28 PST 2010

Good Morning Ebeam Users:

I am sending this email out to my Users to poll on your level of
interest in having a new batch of Hydrogen Silsequioxane (HSQ) negative
tone Ebeam resist ordered for this year.  I just received a very
expensive quotation from DOW Corning with a minimum order of Four 250 ml
bottles for $1365.00 / bottle for a total of $5460.00 USD.  This is a
great investment in cost for SNF for what I think is much more material
than we could possibly utilize in the lab before the material batch life
expires and performance and quality of the result starts to degrade.

Currently I in contact with the Dow technical sales representative in
hopes that we can break this order into four shipments spread over a
year or more time if possible. But I expect they will not be compliant
to this request as they are accustomed to much larger quantity orders.

Hydrogen Silsesquioxane (HSQ) is a very high resolution negative tone
ebeam resist with good etching characteristics and can also be used as a
spin-on-glass  or dielectric, as well as for planarization and a gap /
via filling layer. In other fabrication applications, various mixtures
containing HSQ can be used for passivation layers and is also the base
material for Dow Corning's XLK low dielectric constant (k) materials.
Single Pixel lines in the 9 - 13 nm line width and larger, with dots as
small as 9 - 10 nm diameter were achieved using the RAITH system at low
voltage.  Other groups have reported lines and pitches in the 10 nm 20
nm pitch range with various exposure parameters.

Working together with Filip Crnogorac and Bing Dai in late 2008 we
developed a very capable HSQ process here at SNF, attached for your review.

Ebeam Lab.