Safety Issue: Chemical Handling

Thomas T. Lee leet at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 23 13:24:33 PDT 2004

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your email.  I've had a couple scares with fumes in the litho
room myself recently.  I was emptying the red container underneath lithosolv
and got a faceful of fumes - I think someone didn't put their trash in a
plastic bag.

One suggestion on improving safety - require all labmembers to take the safety
test annually.  It's doesn't have to be an onerous test - just enough to
get people
to re-read the safety procedures and remind themselves of things they may have
forgotten.  To make sure people comply, Coral logins could be disabled (or
enabling
privileges automatically one year after the user last took the test, and
reset once
the test is completed.  This also ensures that people who don't use the lab for
a long time don't go back in without a safety refresher.

Thanks,
--Tom