BOE in piranha pot

Mary Tang mtang at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 23 20:02:31 PDT 2010

Hi all --

Shrestha called the bat phone to let me know that she had done
this....   but only after she had realized her mistake, aspirated it,
rinsed the pot, refilled it, and processed her wafers.  After all that,
I don't suspect there's a lot we can do about it.  When we've had
incidents in the past, it was still in the pot so we could pump it out
manually (or rather, Jim Haydon or Mike Dickey have.)  I am not sure
what the resulting fluoride concentration would be after dilution -- we
might need to report this.  Mary Dougherty?

I've asked her to come and talk with me, Ed, or John about this.  We
should stress why a.) don't trust the storage area labels and read the
bottles before pouring; b.) don't aspirate HF.   At the same time, I
appreciate the fact that she did think of reporting it.  I've also asked
her to discuss with Uli any suggestions she might have that might better
avoid this situation.  There will probably also be some community
service involved, at Uli's discretion.

Mary