Problem savannah SNF 2012-08-06 22:06:52: Update ... pump leakage

shott at snf.stanford.edu shott at snf.stanford.edu
Sun Dec 23 09:16:36 PST 2012

Savannah Users:
As Woo Shik has noted, it is slippery in front of the Savannah.  I believe that it is due to leakage from the little pump in the base of the cabinet, but that is not yet confirmed.
Woo Shik did a nice job of putting barrier tape in front of the machine and I added a few warning signs.  I also put down some absorbent pads immediately in front of the machine and then tried to remove some of the slipperiness in the surrionding area by wiping with methanol soaked wipes.  I think that it is better now, but still deserves more serious investigation in the morning.
I see no reason to shutdown the machine as it appears to be pumping normally, oil is still above the minimum level, and I see no indications of a massive leak.  However, the floor of the cabinet does have some oil on it.  I suggest that once this is cleaned up, we acquire a baking pan of the appropriate size with ~3/4" high sidewalls to put underneath the pump on the floor of the cabinet.  Oil pumps should always have some form of leak containment under them because they WILL develop leaks.  As a secondary issue, I did not see a clear label on or near the pump indicating whether it is filled with fomblin (and, if so, what weight) or whether it is filled with white oil.  While I suspect that it is fomblin and it feels more like fomblin to me, it should be clearly labeled so that we know for certain.
Particularly for those folks who may be using the savannah later this evening, please be very careful near the machine because of possible slipperiness on the floor.  Please walk very carefully in this area as if you were walking on ice: take short steps and place your feet carefully.  While I believe that the floor is now significantly less slippery than it was earlier, it is best to be cautious.
Thanks,
John