Slippery floor near the Savannah ...

John Shott shott at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 6 22:10:49 PDT 2012

Savannah Users:

Earlier this evening, Woo Shik reported that the floor is slippery in
front of the Savannah.  I believe that it is due to leakage from the
little pump in the base of the cabinet, but that is not yet fully confirmed.

Woo Shik did a nice job of putting barrier tape in front of the machine
and I added a few warning signs.  I also put down some absorbent pads
immediately in front of the machine and then tried to remove some of the
slipperiness in the surrounding area by wiping with methanol soaked
wipes.  I think that it is better now, but still deserves more serious
investigation in the morning.

I see no reason to shutdown the machine as it appears to be pumping
normally, oil is still above the minimum level, and I see no indications
of a massive leak.  However, the floor of the cabinet does have some oil
on it.  I suggest that once this is cleaned up, we acquire a baking pan
of the appropriate size with ~3/4" high sidewalls to put underneath the
pump on the floor of the cabinet.  Oil pumps should always have some
form of leak containment under them because they WILL develop leaks.  As
a secondary issue, I did not see a clear label on or near the pump
indicating whether it is filled with fomblin (and, if so, what weight)
or whether it is filled with white oil.  While I suspect that it is
fomblin and it feels more like fomblin to me, it should be clearly
labeled so that we know for certain.

Particularly for those folks who may be using the savannah later this
evening, please be very careful near the machine because of possible
slipperiness on the floor.  Please walk very carefully in this area as
if you were walking on ice: take short steps and place your feet
carefully.  While I believe that the floor is now significantly less
slippery than it was earlier, it is best to be cautious.  Please note
any further problems but please be more careful than usual when

John