Problem sem4160 SNF 2009-04-23 20:16:03: image moving

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 24 08:57:09 PDT 2009

Good Morning Users:

If you are not slow, gentle, and kind in your translations of this older
SEM stage it will induce backlash and binding of the sliders that
control the X-Y axis.

It is recommended for smooth uniform motion and not to have tension
resulting in shifting of your image to initially start the motion very
slowly and then once you observe motion only then accelerate to speed.

Subsequently if you still see the stage moving in small increments just
gently move back and forth a very small amount on that axis to remove
the tension...

This is very common practice in the older Hitachi and other SEM
manufactured during that era.

If you still have problems please make an appointment with me.

The next time we open the Specimen Chamber to air for maintenance we
will check the stage motion out and adjust the mechanical adjustments on
this stage.

Thank you for you Coral Problem report.

James Conway