Comment sem4160 SNF 2009-08-05 16:58:05: adjusted condensor lens back to spot size 10

jwc at snf.stanford.edu jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 5 16:58:06 PDT 2009

Over the last two days some users have reported problems with the column alignment and not having an image to align the gun to a suitable sized gun aperture image.
Upon closer inspection I found the condensor lens spot size set to 2 and not to the normal range of 10 to 14.
I changed this back to Con. Lens setting 10  using 10keV and aperture plate hole no 3 at 10 mm WD.
 I realigned all sections of the column and all is now bright focused and properly stigmated again.  :-)
For new users, it is suggested to bring up the platform at the same acceleration voltage as had been used by the previous user, then obtain your initial SEM secondary electron image before making and significant changes to the column settings.
This should make all SEM4160 operations sessions routine and not suffering from having to find the beam.
Thank you for your support!
James Conway