sem4160 problem

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Fri Aug 8 17:24:01 PDT 2008

Hello sem4160 Users:

Often it is best to ignore reports from new Users until they come up to
speed on the system...  Like riding bicycles and playing sports, it all
get easier and better when you train and practice your skills.

I checked out the system today and found no specific issues regarding
resolution or brightness of the images.  Suspect that Ted Berg or
another expert operator may have realigned the column when they used the
tool since your last session.

We set up the column and imaged in a number of SEM modes and
acceleration voltages and after careful column gun alignment and
aperture adjustments we had suitable brightness in all aperture strip
positions.

Couple points to check if you run into problems:

Best take off angle to the SE detector is between 10 and 18 mm Working
distance WD.  Adding a little tilt on the stage can greatly increase
brightness too.
Be sure to reduce contrast if you are observing high signal to noise in
the image and then increase brightness.  In normal practice on initial
view in SE SEM mode I  bring up contrast until I just start to see the
noise speckles in the image, (i.e., dark Current of amplifier aka shot
noise)  then reduce Contrast just slightly till the screen is no longer
noisy, then bring up brightness to the CRT.
If you still do not have a sufficient signal then open to the next
larger hole (smaller number) in the movable aperture strip.  Normal mode
is aperture No 3.
Finally if you do not have enough brightness in TV view mode employ the
slow scanning functions and you will have a much better image concurrent
with the longer dwell times per pixel.
Lastly you can change the condenser lens setting from 12 to 10 or 8 even
-- but with the caveat that ultimate resolution will suffer greatly.

At the end of my session today I set up the column for 10 keV 10 mm WD.
using aperture strip no 3.
This should be fine for all but the highest resolution users working
above 200kX.

Please give us some feedback from your sessions over the weekend by
making a comment or if you are suffering and need assistance report a
problem on coral for the tool. Next week we will continue to evaluate
performance on the tool seeking solutions if we can trace to a specific
problem.

Thank you for your interest in Ebeam Technologies here at SNF.

Have a Nice Weekend,

James Conway