ALL USERS: Please be careful in your operations on the tool.

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 19 09:09:53 PDT 2009

Good Morning SEM4160 Users,

Users are requested to be more careful during operations on SEM4160 with
regards to mechanical translation to the movable aperture settings.
Recently users coming onto the system are discovering the movable
aperture strip controls have been translated beyond the normal range of
motion, and the ebeam is no longer impinging through any aperture.  This
results in a dim image and little to no acceptable resolution. Other
times users are encountering the beam alignment itself is far off center
and they cannot obtain an initial SEM image coming onto the system.

While we make every effort to ensure that all Users qualified to use the
tool have been trained to find and align the emission spot for gun
alignment, and align the movable apertures for aperture alignment; some
users trained in the past may not have had these specific items covered
in detail.  Users whom have been away from the tool for some time may
simply need a refresher on the SEM4160 operations.
My next SEM4160 training session is scheduled for next Wednesday August
26th, 2009 from 10 - 12:30 AM.  All interested parties are welcome to
attend any all or part of this training.

Finally I would like to remind everyone, when working on any tool at
SNF, that should you ever become unsure about an operations procedure,
become concerned, worried, or even terrified on any tool -- simply stop
what you are doing and seek out that assistance of any experienced
qualified user or SNF staff member whom will be happy to assist you.

Thank you for your support!

James Conway