Default configuration for sem4160

James Conway jwc at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 28 10:44:51 PDT 2009

Hello Nahid:

Good suggestion but I think not and here is why:

1. Many Users utilize this tool for different types of SEM imaging and
analysis which require various acceleration voltages, differing working
distances, and various aperture settings mainly due to the sample type.

2. All Users are expected to develop sufficient skill on the tool to
align the Gun and Movable aperture plate and subsequently obtain a
suitable SEM image of good quality and resolution.  If they need
additional training, especially if it is application specific to their
samples, they should schedule a session with me for assistance, further
training and support...

3.  I have a large number of people whom were trained on the tool,
before I took over this tool  last year, whom were not trained in Gun or
Aperture plate alignment. A few others recently have returned to the
tool after a year or more away and in my humble opinion should attend
refresher training on the tool.  Users interested in obtaining more
training should either attend any of my Bimonthly SEM Practicum sessions
on the second and fourth Wednesday of the month from 10 AM - 12:30 PM or
make a appointment with me to work together on the */sem4160/* or
/*semhitachi*.
/
It is also recommended that when you first come on the tool to start out
at the acceleration voltage of the previous user employed and bring up
the beam and only them change to your preferred parameters.  This may
make it easier for new users to locate your first view in SEM contrast
and then perform the Gun alignment.  Additionally there is a section in
the function keys that have saved settings on the tool that I recently
established and I will test these out in the coming week and report back
to the list.

Every Lab member's work is important to me and I wish for you all to
obtain optimal resolution and results using the Ebeam labs tools.

If you need help all you need to do is ask, preferably by scheduling an
appointment in advance.

I welcome comments and your opinions on any matter in the Ebeam lab.

Thank you for your support!

James Conway