Item for SNF Meeting Agenda

Jim Plummer plummer at ee.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 18 21:42:58 PDT 2001

Jim:
	I agree that we should talk about this. The key issue, I
think, is that the SNF by itself will likely not be able to recruit
or retain a Ph.D. level person for this role (I presume you have in
mind someone like Mark McCord). Mark was hired by Fabian to work in
his group, and the SNF gladly picked up half his salary to work on
e-beam related issues in the lab. But I think the primary motivator
for Mark coming to Stanford was working with Fabian, not the job in
the SNF. So if we want to recruit someone like him, we'll need a plan
for this person to join a research group, work with Ph.D. students
etc, in order to be successful.
	There may be other options, but that's the best chance I know of.

		Jim