Planning Committee input

Thomas Kenny kenny at cdr.stanford.edu
Wed Mar 7 09:52:12 PST 2001

All -

It has been a while since many of you have seen or heard from me.  This has
not been due to a lack of interest - more, it has been a remarkable series
of conflicts that are all very interesting, but not worth wasting your time
reading about.

I did talk briefly with Greg Kovacs, and wanted to be sure that my thoughts
about equipment removals got onto the record.  My group has been making
heavy use of the Ion Implanter and the epi-silicon growth reactor, as well
as the STS etcher, and the wafer bonder.  I imagine there has been plenty
said about the STS and the bonder, but I wanted to be sure that people knew
that the implanter and epi reactor were also under heavy use.

The epi system is becoming a focus for a fast-growing series of
interactions with Bosch, a new CIS member, and very active participant in
the lab.  Bosch allowed us to install a proprietary vapor HF etcher at no
cost, and has been offering all kinds of other assistance (STS process
recipe upgrades,...).  My group is developing a wafer-scale encapsulation
process for MEMS devices that uses the epi reactor to grow relatively thick
films of low-stress poly and crystalline silicon.  We've been developing
special recipies for this process, and are filing patents.  There is also a
new $5M DARPA proposal going out next week (to be followed by others) to
use this process to develop GHz resonators for Telecom - an area of active
CIS interest.  Bosch is willing to contribute cash directly to support
maintenance and upgrades for this reactor.  I think it would be a huge
mistake to remove it.

The ion implanter has also been getting heavy use from my group in recent
years.  We've made it a focus of our research for the formation of
sensitive piezoresistive cantilevers and force sensors.  Piezoresistive
sensors have the significant advantage over capacitive sensing techniques
that the readout circuitry does not need to be integrated on the sensor in
order to operate at high performance.  Through this approach, we've been
able to develop very high-performance cantilever beam force sensors for
many applications in the last 4 years, and there are 20 journal
publications, 30 conference publications, 3 Signed PhDs (Ben Chui, Jonah
Harley, Alissa Fitzgerald) and 6 more on the way (Aaron Partridge, Eugene
Chow, Yiching Liang, Lian Zhang, Michael Bartsch, Beth Pruitt) - all based
on this capability.  I think all of these names are easily recognizable to
the CIS lab staff as frequent users of facilities, and there has been
probably much more than 250K in lab fees paid by my group to support their
activities.  Aaron Partridge and Kurth Reynolds have been the only student
authorized users of this system, and we have spent many hours working with
CIS staff and service contract technical people to maintain and support
this machine.  I realize that there are outside services available for this
process, but we have taken advantage of the special opportunity related to
having it here to do specialty implants - including the implants at oblique
angles that Ben Chui has published and patented.  My group relies on this
capability (PhD theses for Partridge, Liang, and Bartsch will use this).

I realize that every piece of equipment will have some loyal and outspoken
users and that the process of identifying and eliminating equipment is a
difficult one.  I just wanted to be sure that the implanter and epi reactor
are added to the list of removal items which have at least one loyal and
outspoken supporter...

I will be at the 3/16 meeting!

Tom Kenny