Polyimide

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 30 15:36:13 PDT 2003

Hi all --

I did a quick google search on pyralin, which is, I take it, what people
use for polyimide coating.  A quick read-through seems to show that
pyralin requires heat cure in order to become polyimide and that the
monomer coating can be dissolved in NMP or some specialty solvent called
"Brewer Science ARC cleaner."  The polyimide monomer is only sparingly
soluble in acetone or water.  NMP is 2-N-methyl pyrolidinone -- a nice,
safe, green solvent that appears in EMT-130 and most of the other
metal-safe resist strippers in the lab.  I'd suggest that we may be able
to have people just use the laurel for polyimide and use NMP to rinse
out the bowl and lid.  I don't think there's a problem in mixing NMP and
acetone waste at the laurel, because it all goes into a carboy anyway
(on the svg track, solidifying polyimide could cause problems with the
lines...  but maybe I'm wrong in assuming this is less of a problem on
the laurel?)

Addendum:  Dick just stopped by as I was writing this...  He also says
we should consider the PMMA problem -- currently, solutions with high
concentrations of PMMA monomer are not allowed on tracks or the laurel
because it is hard to clean with acetone...  The FAQ section of the
MicroChem website (http://www.microchem.com/products/pmma_faq.htm) says
that PMMA can be removed with NMP as well, so maybe we ought to give the
NMP a try?

What do you all think?

(Dick, by the way, has found some really good info from the Laurell
people which might present a mechanical, as opposed to a chemical,
solution.)

National Nanofabrication Users' Network
mtang at snf.stanford.edu