Permission to bring Cyantek Cr etchent

Lan Zhang lanzhangus at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 11:48:15 PDT 2004

Hi,

I would like to use Cyantek Cr-14S wet etchent for my project.  Cr-14S is in liquid form and is a mixture of acetic acid(9%) and ceric ammonium nitrate(22%) and water(69%) and I attached MSDS for the chemicals.  I addressed the questions on the website as follows and will answer any more questions.  Thanks.

Lan Zhang

Coherent Inc

   Requestor name: Lan Zhang
   Phone number:   510-435-2318
   email address:   lanzhangus at yahoo.com
   Requestor’s PI (Advisor) or Company:  Coherent Inc
   The name of the new Chemical (give all names commonly used): Cyantek Cr14S (Mixture of Acetic acid and Ceric Ammonium Nitrate)
   If there are secondary new chemicals that must be used with this material, such as a developer for a new resist, list each of them here and supply MSDSs for each of them.   None
   Name of vendor/manufacturer that you are planning to obtain this material from: Cyantek
   URL for vendor’s website where info on the proposed chemical can be found: http://www.cyantek.com/
   Vendor’s address and phone number: Cyantek Corporation, Inc
3055 Osgood Court,  Fremont, CA 94539
(510) 651-3341    FAX  (510) 651-3398
   What is your reason for wanting to bring this material into the lab: Wet-etch Cr film and final strip off
   Make a strong case why you can not use an already approved chemical/material for this purpose: I need well controlled Cr etchent to obtain submicron Cr line which is most critical for my project

   List all the lab equipment and wet benches that you propose to use with this chemical:   Wbgeneral
   Proposed quantity of the chemical that you want to bring into lab (give both raw and mixed quantities):   1/2 gallon or 100ml/two month
   State the form that the proposed chemical is in. (Is it solid, powder or liquid? Note: as a general rule, powders are not permitted in the cleanroom.):  liquid
   State whether the chemical needed to be mixed to use it:   No
   From manufacturer, vendor or the Stanford safety site, obtain a legible Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for all the proposed chemicals. Send these to the person listed below.   see attachment
   If the chemical/material is to be used in any the "clean" equipment, purity specifications will be needed. This is most important for chemicals/material that are not normally used for VLSI device fabrication. To be allowed into a "clean" tool, the material should MOS grade or better. N/A
   Read the MSDSs as well as the Stanford Chemical Storage Groups and the Stanford Chemical Safety Data Base sections on this website to determine the Storage Group Identifier and Main Hazard Class of your chemical/material.
   Determine whether there is enough room to store your material in the designed lab storage areas. Storage groups A,B,D and L are stored in the yellow solvent cabinet in the furnace support area, while storage groups C, E, F and G are stored on top of one of the Pass-through Carts. Ensure your chemical container or material is properly labeled. If there is no available room, it must be stored by in the bulk storage area. You will then need to obtain it from receiving area personnel each time you want to use it and return it to them when you are finished using it (or each time you leave the lab). Note that there is no storage of chemicals/materials in the processing lab or at any wet bench.
   In your discussions with vendors, try to determine the best way to dispose of your spent chemicals and by-products. The lab has acid/base, HF and solvent drains. The acid/base drains go to a neutralization system before going the city waste water system. The city of Palo Alto has tight limits on the amount of heavy metals that be disposed of through the waste water system. If your chemical contains any metals, there is a good chance that you will have to collect all your waste and dispose of it in labeled containers which are picked up the Health and Safety Department. The HF drains go to a central tank which is pumped out by a HF disposal service at considerable expense on a regular basis. The solvent drains in the solvent benches are collected under the benches and disposed of by Heath and Safety as needed.
   Put together a detailed process flow description on how you proposed to use this chemical. This should include: Any chemical mixing, all lab equipment and wet benched to be used, all containers to be used, where chemical is to be stored and how chemical and by-products are to be deposed of. This should be in a Word file attached to your e-mail request. In reviewing your procedure, we will be most interested in how the safety and contamination issues are to be dealt with.