Zn deposition in the Metalica

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Apr 14 08:06:27 PDT 2004

JIM!!!!  AAACK!!!

We've been abiding by your guideline, stated last summer for Innotec, and by
inference, for metalica, that anything with a vapor pressure higher than that
of In would not be allowed in these systems.  We have had several requests for
zinc since then, and have deferred people to Berkeley or Ginzton.  Including
Rafael and Mike...

Truly, I'm glad they went to you to work this out....  but PLEASE keep us
(SpecMat and Jeannie) informed.  It's only courteous, and it helps that our
organization should be presenting a consistent front.  Please, Jim, this
happens more often than we'd like (Ge in the 4108, most recently, for example)
and when are not in communication, it makes things difficult for the
maintenance, labmembers, and process folk who are not in the same loop.  It
ends up in a lot of misunderstanding and a lot of yelling that does not have
to happen.  It seems to me that SpecMat ought to be the forum in which these
things are decided, or at least, the info is disseminated, and from there it
should be each of our responsibilities to inform the correct people.  Since
emails to SpecMat are archived, we have a record of what was decided and
when.  And it seems that in light of recent events in which the manner in
which we execute on policy was called into question, that we should try to be
more diligent in documenting such decisions.

So, that's my rant.  Jim, there is no doubt that you are the expert and final
word on issues of contamination (among many others), but all I ask is that
people involved be informed...  Please?

Back to the request:  does this mean that Zn may be run by others who abide by
these guidelines?  (Providing their own parts and limiting to thin
depositions?)  If so, would an OK and training by Jeannie/maintenance (who
would vet the user to be sure the requestor was competent on the system) be
sufficient to allow other users to do this?  Or is this a one-time OK?  Since
this involves hardware changes, should we also inform Dick/Jim Haydon?  (I
admit that I don't know how involved these hardware changes are.)

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu