Zn deposition in the Metalica

Wed Apr 14 10:38:51 PDT 2004

Mary,

I think it is would be a big mistake to open up the Metalica up to general
Zn use. I have a number of reasons for saying this.

1. Zn is a problem material in vacuums. One has to be very careful in
using it in a vacuum dep system. If not controlled, it will go everywhere
in the system and every deposition will be Zn doped. It will move around
if a surface goes above 100C.  There is no way Zn will be contained to
removable parts if the tool is opened up for general Zn.

2. Although the Matelica is a "dirty" system, Zn contamination is a
problem for some users. Users do use this tool for contacting Si and Ge
devices. The fact that they are using the Metalica means these are not
critical devices.

3. Rafael and Mike are working with low percentages of Zn (< 5%) in Au and
thin layers ( 300A). So the amount of Zn being sputtered is very small (
range of 15A thickness at sample).

4. Rafael spent the weekend machining replacement parts for all surfaces
onto which the Zn is deposited. The exception is the wafer turret/plate
where Al foil will be used as a barrier.

5. On removing all the surfaces with Zn on them, I feel a very careful
user can keep the small amounts of Zn in control.

6. I have a lot of faith in Rafael and Mike following a special procedure.
I do not have faith in our general users' ability to follow the same
procedure.

7. For Stanford students, who have demonstrated excellent experimental
ability, I willing to go the extra mile to find solutions for their
processing problems.

	Jim

Stanford University             	jmcvittie at stanford.edu