What is Semi-Clean

Ed Myers edmyers at stanford.edu
Wed Aug 18 09:59:00 PDT 2004

SpecMat Committee,

We are getting close having a couple of students spearhead the use of the
SCT sputter.  This is great, since they can take the lead at understanding
the influence of RF and heat during deposition.  The only conflict I see is
the materials they want to use is outside of the current definition of
Semi-Clean metals.

Metals that are currently being requested include: Ni, Mo, Hf and
reactively sputtered TiN.  These materials and metals such as Co have been
successfully introduced into high volume semiconductor manufacturing
facilities.  There is also an increase in the use conductive metal oxides,
such as Ru and Ir for contacting high dielectric constant materials.

If we allow these materials in a Semi-Clean sputter, we will have opened a
cascading effect for the balance of the Semi-Clean tool set.  I think we
should take this opportunity to revisit the what metals should comprise the
Semi-Clean list.

Ed Myers