What is Semi-Clean

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Aug 18 11:24:00 PDT 2004

Ed,

Here my initial thoughts. Mike Deal and I need to get together and consolidate
our thoughts on the tool.

Semiclean is a term that Margaret Prisbe came up some years back. For the SCT
system, it means that we will only allow metals, wafers and procedures
compatible with CMOS devices.

In terms of metals, the list use to be pretty short, however with the push
toward hi-k and metal gates the list has gotten longer and more uncertain. The
uncertainty means that we are going be trying out new metals to see how well
they work from a CMOS device standpoint and how well we can keep them from
getting into or cross-contaminating metal depositions where we do not want
them. An important issue with the SCT is that it is a tool where we want to get
reproducible device properties. The initial concern is work function control,
which means interface control. This requirement means that, like the Balzer, we
probably will not allow organics. Thick depositions may also be a problem. The
SCT is the replacement for the Balzer, which was a device research tool. The
main difference the SCT and Balzers is that the target cost is much lower and
we are not restricted by the needs of the Physics group. The restrictions will
now be set by the CMOS device needs.

In terms of wafers, no gold (or sodium like metals) contaminated wafers will be
allowed. Because the importance of interface control, organics on wafers will
be restricted. Other problem metals will be prohibited or  have restrictions in
terms of sputter etching and heating.

In terms of procedures, I am concerned with any procedure that would affect
contamination of deposited films or interfaces. Areas of concern are deposition
thickness, sputter etching and substrate temperature. Thick depositions cause
flaking which increases surface area and cross-contamination. Sputter etching
can introduce contamination material from wafers. Finally, heating of
substrates can cause contamination problem. At this point I am not sure exactly
how these concerns should translate into restrictions.

Regarding nitride and oxide deposition, there is no question that we will allow
reactive metal nitride deposition in the tool. As for oxide deposition, I think
we need some experience with the tool and a device need before addition this
capability.

    Jim