[Fwd: Couple of requests from MEMS Exchange]

Jim McVittie mcvittie at snf.stanford.edu
Tue Aug 31 10:48:23 PDT 2004

Mary,

Regarding item #1, I have never intentionally etched silicon nitride with a
chlorine based process. While Mo etches best in an F based etch, it should etch at
a slower rate in a Cl based etch.  I say this because the boiling points of MoF5
and MoCl5 are 35 C and 268C, respectively. Note that the boiling point of TiF4 is
284C and we often etch Ti is SF6 plasmas.  If  the requestor has a ref for nitride
etching in Cl2, we can look into doing it in the Pquest.

Regarding item #2, we have etched pieces in the Al chamber on the P5000. However,
we have not tried to mount 2” wafers onto 4”. The mounting process uses
doublesided carbon tape to attach the pieces and resist to seal the edges. It is a
pain to get off all the tape residue after the etch. I am willing to try other
mounting methods but one does need good thermal contact between the carrier wafer
and pieces to get good etch results.

    Jim