Mary Tang mtang at
Thu Dec 9 10:40:09 PST 2004

Zheng --

I am going through the SpecMat files and cannot find an approval for
GeSe in metalica.  We have a request from you for activating the Ag
diffusion into GeSe at karlsuss, but no request for deposition in
metalica.  Jim McV says he was unaware that GeSe was going to be
deposited at metalica.  Given the problem that we had with the smell in
the metallica area, we have real concerns about how this can be done
safely.  Please do not deposit GeSe in metalica, as this is not approved.

If you would like to deposit GeSe, please submit a formal request to
SpecMat, describing your process.  If you know of other facilities in
which this is done, please provide information about this.  As your MSDS
from Alfa Aesar shows, Se is toxic, so we need to be careful about if
and how it is used in the lab.

mtang at