Status? - DI/Ethanol/HF Request (fwd)

Mary Tang mtang at snf.stanford.edu
Wed Feb 18 08:09:07 PST 2004

Wups!  Sorry, I meant to follow up.  I believe Jim McVittie went through
this exercise and it was decided that this chemical mixture and the
first rinses of labware and wafers, should all go into the HF drain.
The only concern is that ethanol is a flammable solvent and that other
people using wbgeneral may put HNA (which contains nitric, an oxidizer
and a no-no with regard to flammables) into the sink as well.  It is
thought that the dilution from other HF tanks and such would make it a
non-issue, particularly if the volume and proportion of ethanol were
relatively small.  Alternatively, to be on the extra-safe side, it may
be better to simply collect the waste in a labelled hazardous waste
container and deal with it according to standard procedure.  I'll double
check with Jim and get back to you on this.

As for the set up -- Uli and Jim Haydon have gone through this before
with another user in the last year or so.  Please work with them on the
logistics of scheduling, setup, etc. at wbgaas.

Again, my apologies for the delay -- I'd forgotten about the SpecMat
files.

Mary

mtang at stanford.edu